Tired of catching a cold or a virus every time one of your coworkers neglects to use a sick day? More than 44 million Americans are working without paid sick time at their disposal, and are more likely to go to work with a contagious illness. A study performed by Kimberly-Clark for The Healthy Workplace Project has proved that not only are offices crawling with bacteria, but the highest levels are found in areas we least expect.
Testing approximately 4,800 offices, results were found using a device which measures ATP, an energy molecule found in bacteria, mold, and yeast cells. At the top of their list is the office’s break room sink faucets, as it resulted in an ATP reading of over 300 in 75% of the offices tested. To give some reference, an area showing an ATP reading of 100 is in need of a good cleaning. The microwave came in second with an ATP reading over 300 at 48% of the offices tested. It’s likely that these two areas tested the highest due to communal use, and the amount of food being prepared and consumed in close proximity.
Chemical cleaners can be effective, however, they’re a risk when used near food or electrical equipment. Antibacterial agents found in personal hygiene products help but often do not kill all bacteria, causing the cells to mutate into tougher, drug-resistant strains.
So, what can be done about this? The germicidal ultraviolet light emitted by products like the Spectroline® DeGERM-inator™ damage the DNA in bacteria and viruses, killing over 90% of them outright. Done in seconds, this UV light kills a wide range of disease-causing bacteria and viruses, such as E.Coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Listeria, and the H1N1 flu virus. Apart from contaminated sinks and microwaves, this product can also be used to sanitize the following:
Small enough to fit in your pocket, these portable ultraviolet sanitizers are absolutely safe when used as directed. They use the short-wave UV (germicidal) method of deactivating and killing microbes, which has been recommended for over 50 years by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. For added safety, DeGERM-inator lamps feature a unique child safety switch to prevent accidental UV exposure.
The question is, why isn’t your office using this technology?